Boston Harbor Angels
Dr. Marcia Stone Ph.D.
Dr. Marcia Stone received her Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry from Northeastern University. Prior to founding Hybrivet Systems, she devoted many years to research in biochemistry, enzymology and immunology at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Stone worked as Manager of the Biomedical Division (Clinical Immunoassays) and Long Range Research at the New England Nuclear Corporation (now a DuPont company). It was there that she developed molecular biology products including the mRNA Translation Kit, which won the prestigious Industrial Research & Development 100 Award (now called the R&D 100 Award).
In 1987, Dr. Stone founded Hybrivet Systems, Inc., with a keystone product that detected antibiotics in dairy cows, which allowed farmers to safely return their cows to the production line following illness. Applying years of research, experience and monoclonal technology, Dr. Stone significantly contributed to important advances within the New England dairy industry.
After encountering children with illnesses related to lead-poisoning, Dr. Stone applied this technology and created LeadCheck® Swabs, which allowed for instant-read lead detection and prevented lead contamination. Over the years, Dr. Stone has contributed to the prevention of lead poisoning in children and adults through early lead detection.
Hybrivet Systems was sold to the 3M Corporation in April 2011. Since its sale, Dr. Stone has started two companies: GGS Venture Partners and Erie Drive. GGS Venture Partners is a firm that assists and invests in startups, early stage companies and real estate development. On top of GGS Venture's platform, Dr. Stone mentors aspiring entrepreneurs, assists companies that are in distress or looking to transition or exit and helps them attain their goals by building strong, fruitful relationships.
She focuses her attention and expertise on identifying emerging consumer products that are innovative. Having patented over 22 products in her career, many of which have been featured on self-help television programs such as Dr. Ox and Oprah, Dr. Stone has a keen eye for problem solving consumer goods in fields such as life science and technology.
Values Boston Harbor Angels bring to Members
- Exposure to a broad area of investment opportunities (IT, medical, consumer, real estate, internet, financial services, manufacturing, etc.)
- Monthly meetings that are focused, with well prepared presenters.
- A meeting style that is relaxed and conducted in the spirit of colleagues rather than adversaries.
- Association with a membership of proven business leaders committed to excellence in everything that we do.
- The opportunity to join other members in an effective due diligence process that provides increased exposure to "risks and rewards" prior to actual investing.
- The ability to network with other angel groups, where our recommendations and theirs are highly valued and provide access to additional capital and pre-screened investment opportunities.
- A membership known for providing resources beyond money which attracts superior investment candidates.
- The opportunity for continued interaction with successful presenters that provides the gratification of giving something back.
- Exposure to leading educational institutions, committed to entrepreneurship, such as Babson, Harvard, MIT, and others.
Resources For Members
Check out these members only special services and useful links. Go to resources...