Boston Harbor Angels
Dr. Mermelstein is the founder of several biotechnology companies, and has had substantial management experience with numerous biotech start-up companies.
Dr. Mermelstein currently serves on several boards, including Waspit, Inc., Advantagene, Inc., and Pear Tree Pharmaceuticals, Inc., the most recent company he founded. In addition, since 2004, Dr. Mermelstein is an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Molecular Genetics, Microbiology and Immunology at UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, and is on the editorial board of Medical Innovation and Business.
Dr. Mermelstein was the founder of Javelin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (JAV), which was recently acquired by Hospira, Inc. He has served as the CEO and President of Javelin, which has brought to market in Europe DylojectTM, an injectible anti-inflammatory for the treatment of post-operative pain. He was the founder of PolaRx Biopharmaceuticals, Inc., where he also served as Chief Scientific Officer, and was responsible for bringing TrisenoxTM (Arsenic Trioxide for the treatment of Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia) to NDA completion, now marketed and sold worldwide.
Dr. Mermelstein has formerly served in numerous biotech and venture capacities, including Director of Venture Capital at Paramount Capital Investments, LLC., (overseeing all technology evaluation and licensing opportunities) and as General Partner of The Orion Biomedical Fund (private equity fund). Additionally, Dr. Mermelstein has served on the boards of several private as well as public companies including Cardiome Pharma (CRME), and nonprofit institutes, including the Rogosin Institute and Jordan Heart Foundations.
Dr. Mermelstein was selected as a financial advisor to the New York City Emerging Industries Fund and Technology Transfer Seed Fund of the New York Economic Development Corporation for the biopharmaceutical sector.
Dr. Mermelstein received a Ph.D. joint degree in pharmacology and toxicology at Rutgers University and University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (UMDNJ-RWJ) and completed his post-doctoral training as a research fellow of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute located at UMDNJ-RWJ. Dr. Mermelstein is the recipient of research awards from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, National Institute of Health/National Cancer Institute and New Jersey Cancer Commission, and the Society of Toxicology. Dr. Mermelstein is the author of numerous scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals and holds several primary patents
Values Boston Harbor Angels bring to Members
- Exposure to a broad area of investment opportunities (IT, medical, consumer, real estate, internet, financial services, manufacturing, etc.)
- Monthly meetings that are focused, with well prepared presenters.
- A meeting style that is relaxed and conducted in the spirit of colleagues rather than adversaries.
- Association with a membership of proven business leaders committed to excellence in everything that we do.
- The opportunity to join other members in an effective due diligence process that provides increased exposure to "risks and rewards" prior to actual investing.
- The ability to network with other angel groups, where our recommendations and theirs are highly valued and provide access to additional capital and pre-screened investment opportunities.
- A membership known for providing resources beyond money which attracts superior investment candidates.
- The opportunity for continued interaction with successful presenters that provides the gratification of giving something back.
- Exposure to leading educational institutions, committed to entrepreneurship, such as Babson, Harvard, MIT, and others.
Resources For Members
Check out these members only special services and useful links. Go to resources...