Boston Harbor Angels
James F. Coffey
Jim Coffey represents business clients in complex transactional matters. Jim provides practical legal advice to both public and private companies with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, partnerships and strategic alliances, and venture capital and angel financings. Jim represents both borrowers and lenders in sophisticated commercial loan transactions, as well as in distressed situations. He frequently has served as lead counsel in corporate reorganizations, bankruptcies, workouts, receiverships, assignments for the benefit of creditors, distressed asset sales and other complex corporate restructurings.
Jim has extensive experience providing strategic counsel to companies in all phases of transition, including start-ups and early stage development companies seeking angel funding, as well as fully mature businesses seeking insight on mergers, acquisitions and other exit strategies. Jim has broad based experience representing companies in a variety of business sectors. Working with clients in life sciences, health services, social networking, alternative energy, digital media, information technology, e-commerce and consumer products, Jim draws upon his extensive business background to provide pragmatic solutions to client problems.
Recognition & Involvement
Jim is listed in The Best Lawyers in America and in the IAM Patent 1000. Jim has also been recognized in a survey of his peers as a Massachusetts "Super Lawyer" by Law and Politics magazine. Jim is AV® rated by the Martindale-Hubbell peer-review rating system, which, in conjunction with American Lawyer Media, also selected him as a 2013, 2014 and 2015 Top Rated Lawyer.
Corporate and Securities
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
New York University School of Law, LLM, 1989
New England School of Law, 1988
Providence College, BA, cum laude, 1984
Values Boston Harbor Angels bring to Members
- Exposure to a broad area of investment opportunities (IT, medical, consumer, real estate, internet, financial services, manufacturing, etc.)
- Monthly meetings that are focused, with well prepared presenters.
- A meeting style that is relaxed and conducted in the spirit of colleagues rather than adversaries.
- Association with a membership of proven business leaders committed to excellence in everything that we do.
- The opportunity to join other members in an effective due diligence process that provides increased exposure to "risks and rewards" prior to actual investing.
- The ability to network with other angel groups, where our recommendations and theirs are highly valued and provide access to additional capital and pre-screened investment opportunities.
- A membership known for providing resources beyond money which attracts superior investment candidates.
- The opportunity for continued interaction with successful presenters that provides the gratification of giving something back.
- Exposure to leading educational institutions, committed to entrepreneurship, such as Babson, Harvard, MIT, and others.
Resources For Members
Check out these members only special services and useful links. Go to resources...